Looking after yourself during the Coronavirus Outbreak
A self help guide to using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to manage your mental health during difficult times.
Infectious disease outbreaks, like the current Coronavirus (Covid 19), can be scary and can affect our mental health. For many of us it is something like we have never experienced before. It seems so surreal but as it is becoming more and more part of our reality and it is likely to have an impact on our mental health.
In times like these, where a global pandemic is taking up most of the conversation around us, it can be even more difficult to stay calm, especially if you already have an existing anxiety disorder, including Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It is understandable that many individuals with pre-existing anxiety are facing challenges at the moment.
As well as anxiety being triggered by the current coronavirus situation. As well as the potential impact of being self-isolated, with individuals whom you often do not spend much time with or being alone could trigger feelings of depression, panic, post-traumatic stress disorder as well as problematic personality traits.
Of course this situation can impact your mental health without the need for a diagnosis, the most important thing is that you use the tips and techniques that help you and perhaps share with others if you can see they are struggling.
- Limit or avoid watching, reading or listening to news that could cause you distress
- Seek information only for taking practical steps to look after yourself and loved ones
- Manage the information you are exposed to on social media
- Stay connected with others who have a positive impact
- Wash your hands but not excessively
- Give those anxious and OCD thoughts nowhere to go
- Managing anxious and OCD thoughts
- Create and maintain a self-care schedule
Cygnet Health Care was established in 1988. Since then we have developed a wide range of services for individuals with mental health needs, autism and learning disabilities within the UK. We have built a reputation for delivering pioneering services and outstanding outcomes for the people in our care.
CBT, OCD, Coronavirus, Self Care, Mental Health